Tuesday, April 2, 2019

He Papa Tikanga

Having just recently completed a Wananga course , He Papa Tikanga my class and I took part in a Marae stay at Kearoa Marae near Horohoro.

I was able to take some learnings form my studies to help my class and I take part in a powhiri. It was perfect timing that I had recently completed module 4 which included Marae protocols and key vocabulary.

On top of being more prepared for our Marae stay I have been able to use the resources from the course in my teaching. The vocabulary cards have been constantly used in class by student to expand their vocabulary and I have been using the books for reading lessons where students have been adding to their Mihi by learning about their Iwi.

Students art our Marae stay

By linking the use of digital tools, Te Reo and knowledge of a Marae complex we have been able to blend learning in a way that the students enjoy and relate to . Obviously the best learning was on the Marae but back in the class the discussions have continued and I can hear theTe Reo flowing nicely. 

As well as the language acquisition and the Tikanga I can also focus on the class culture and key competencies. By having the students learning in groups I can help them develop the key competency of participating and contributing. I am also feeding in the class expectation that students will be working together on a project but they will be required to attend workshops with me to focus on their goals or targeted learning areas. 

The beginning instructions for groups as they began their Minecraft Marae projects. 





No comments:

Post a Comment