Sunday, May 19, 2019

Internationalmindedness

Having been teaching overseas before i am acutely aware of the need for educators and students to be aware of our place and contributions to the global world we live in.

We have a Chinese language programme in our school which the students get access to learning a language each week. This is adding to the Te Reo and sign language they are exposed to. As part of our commitment to hosting a Chinese student in our school we strive to develop stronger links and improve our ability to grow the language.

I applied for and went on a trip supported by the Confucius institute and Victoria University. The aims of the trip were to develop understanding on China and to know that it is an interesting place that forms part of our broader region in the world. My personal goal was to further develop my Chinese language, something I regretted not developing more when I lived in China a few years ago.

Travelling with other Educators enabled me to visit schools and see things through the lens of educators.  I really appreciated the differences amongst the schools and educators we visited.

My key take aways that I have brought back to my school are.

Improved Chinese language ( I got to practice a lot)
Stories to feed in to give the learning context and interest
Resources that are authentic an d real to touch and use.
Photos of my journeys.

At the Great Wall

Our delegation

In a classroom in Xiamen

I am truely grateful for the opportunity to travel to China, it is this sort of thing that enables teachers to grow and recharge so we can be ato our best for our students.






No comments:

Post a Comment