Monday, October 19, 2020

The 7 Principles of learning

As part of our current PLD we have been exploring the 7 principles of learning with an eye on ho


Core Education's 10 trends are another consideration for future PLD. 

Update April 2021


I was scouring the internet looking for information on a different topic and came across this image which got me thinking about how I enable the 7 principles to flourish in my class. 

Taken from the Enabling E-Learning site on TKI 



This is not an extensive list, just what is on my mind at the moment. 

Learners at the centre: 

Always making sure that the decisions I make are because they are what I think is best for my studnets to flourish and learn. 

The social nature of learning:


Knowing that i want my students to learn with their peers and that by sharing experiences and ideas htey will build their own capabilities and confidence. Recently we have undertaken a number of group tasks where there has been collaboration, conflict, resolutions, failures and successes. All of these contribute in some part to the learning journey. 

Emotions are integral to learning:


Our ongoing use of the Zones of Regulation in class supports students in identifying and controlling their feelings. Having revisited this a number of times as well as using different subject areas to access it has been useful. 

Recognising individual differences. 


It is interesting getting to know new students each year, it is particularly interesting to see the strengths that students have. By using the Universal Design for Learning tool I can start with the strengths as a stepping stone for helping studnets learn.  

Stretching all students:


Through my knowledge of curriculum areas, the levels, progressions and by using the assessment data I collate I can design learning tasks that are not only interesting but challenging. There are occasions when I group students based on their needs and scaffold them through learning engagements. A recent example of this is in our reading programme where although most students have the same learning intentions they are reading differentiated texts and accessing different learning tasks.

By challenging a small group of boys to improve their handwriting we have seen some great improvements. This has been done by initiating small changes to their programmes and through regular practice and feedback.

Assessment for learning:

By collating formal and informal learning and through observing in class I am able to develop a solid picture of students needs and capabilities. This enables me to plan learning engagements that meet student needs. Keeping ongoing notes of my learners is one way I keep track of successes and next learning steps. 

Building horizontal connections


Enabling greater student agency allows for students to make connections to their knowledge and skills.  Our recent Marae stay was a great pathway to learning our Pepeha and knowing where we are from in the form of a Google Earth project where we learned about places of significance in Rotorua. 


No comments:

Post a Comment